Sunday, March 22, 2009

Accent Pillows

Accent pillows can be an easy, affordable way to add a little personality to your room. These pillows are very easy to sew and making them yourself may be less expensive than purchasing them from the store.

Skill level: Beginner

You will need:

  1. Sewing machine
  2. Fabric with matching thread*
  3. A pillow form

*Some fabric stores sell remnant pieces of fabric at great prices. I purchased my fabric from Material Girls Quilts and was able to buy remnant pieces for about $5/pillow.

Directions:

  1. Cut the fabric that will be used for the front of your pillow into a square that is approximately 1" larger than the size of your pillow form. I cut my fabric into a 16" square because I used a 15" pillow - for the sake of these directions, I will include the measurements that I used for a 15" pillow.
  2. Cut the fabric that will be used for the back of your pillow into a 16" x 21" rectangle (16" tall, 21" wide).
  3. Cut the back fabric piece in half, so that you have two 16" x 10.5" pieces.
  4. Next, hem one side (the 16" side) of each back piece. I made a 1/2" hem.
  5. Once you have hemmed one side of both back pieces, pin both back pieces to the front pillow piece, right sides together. The hems on the back pieces should be in the middle of the pillow and the fabric should be overlapping.
  6. Sew the back pieces to the four side of the front pillow piece. I used a 1/2" hem.
  7. Turn your sewn pillow right-side-out and insert your pillow form. Congratulations - you have an accent pillow!

No comments:

Post a Comment