Thursday, March 26, 2009

Refurbished Desk

I had been looking for a desk that I could use for crafts for a while, and I saw this beauty at the Centerville D.I. a few weeks ago. I realize it isn't much to look at in this picture, but it is made of solid wood, has built-in shelving, and was only $30. So, I decided that I would refurbish it and give it a whole new look.

To get started, you will need:

  1. Furniture to refurbish
  2. Electric sander
  3. Paint
  4. Paintbrush - I used a foam brush to help avoid brush strokes
  5. Drawer hardware (pulls or handles)

Instructions:

  1. Wipe down the furniture with a clean, damp cloth.
  2. Using the electric sander, sand the furniture. If you sand it to the wood (thus removing the old pain), painting will probably be easier.
  3. Begin painting. Make sure that you apply an even coat. You may need to paint more than one coat in order to have adequate coverage.
  4. When the paint is dry, apply the new drawer hardware

Here is the finished product: (sorry...these pictures didn't turn out the greatest)


I love how this desk has built-in shelving on the side. It gives me even more storage room.
If you are able to find a decent piece of furniture, refurbishing can be an affordable way to give it a new look. Including the price of the desk, this project cost me less than $50.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Lisa! The desk looks awesome, you are amazing! I love this blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was looking really cool. I have recently refurbished my office furniture. It feels great as i have saved more than 75 percent of money and the furniture is looking new. For more information visit: Office furniture liquidators

    ReplyDelete